Note: To allow projects to access the financial entries, remember to add the Financial Entries section to a project category - this makes the Financials section available to projects that use the category.
A financial entry is a combination of a forecast and one or more actual. Financial entries are "entities" in PPM Pro, and as such their user interface can be configured and customized using the self-service administration (SSA) facility.
Using SSA, you can set up various expense entry forms on behalf of your organization's project management needs, so that project managers and other authorized users can enter both forecast estimates and the actuals entries against them.
Using categories and the ability to configure different fields for different types of forecasts and actuals, your end users can enter details about expenses, as well as attach receipts and invoices to substantiate them. Project managers can track types of inflows and outflows to ensure projects are in proper financial alignment.
As with other entities, such as projects and tasks, you will:
- Use a combination of standard (out-of-the-box) fields as well as create custom fields for use on your Details. You create custom fields (referred to as "user-defined fields", or UDFs), and view standard fields on the Available Fields page. See Financial Entries: Out of the Box Fields for a list of standard fields and their definitions.
- Create at least one category (an initial category is supplied out-of-the-box) on the Categories page. Note that each category can be designated as cash inflow or outflow, so you will likely need a minimum of two categories. Remember to add the Financials section to your project category (and possibly remove Task Expenses, if you're not using/ready to retire them).
- Design the Details layout(s) for forecasts and actuals on the Forecast Details and Actuals Details pages, respectively. You add fields to the Details layouts using a combination of standard and user-defined fields; you can create different layouts for different categories.
- Configure the columns to display in the project Financials section using the Grid Columns page.
- Determine which fields are searchable from the global search facility using the Searchable Fields page.
- Configure permissions.
If a task category includes the Financial Entry Associations section, and the financial entry category includes the Task Associations section, then financial entries can be associated with tasks (when using the appropriate categories). Users are not required to associate financial entries with specific tasks, but the option is available.
Permissions to view, edit, or delete project financials are included in the project permissions hierarchy. Permissions can be applied to either forecasts or actuals, or both. The permissions can be provisioned in permissions profiles of any rule type, including Owner (can grant or deny permission to view/edit/delete forecasts and actuals to project owners). See Setting Up Permissions for Financial Entries for more information.