PPM Pro provides several standard fields that help you manage and report on a request, specifically computed fields that show elapsed time. In addition, there is an activity log (provided the request category has been configured to show it), which is a tool for viewing all the high-level actions that have been taken on a request, giving visibility into how the request progressed through gates, including each approver's time of approval.
Standard Fields for Showing Elapsed Time
The following fields are available for tracking how long a request took, and how much of that time was a request on hold or at a gate:
- Elapsed Hold Time (will be renamed in Dec release to Cumulative Hold Time) - The cumulative time a request is on hold during its life cycle (between Submit and Approve/Reject). This means if a request is put On Hold multiple times during the life of the request, this value includes all the On Hold periods.
- Elapsed Workflow Time (will be renamed in Dec release to Request Life Time) - The total time between when the request was submitted and when it was approved/rejected - includes time on hold and time spent at each gate.
- Cumulative Gate Time (not yet available but coming soon) - The total time between when the request was submitted and when it was approved/rejected that the request was at a gate - does not include time spent On Hold.
Other useful fields are:
- Submission Date
- Gate Status
- Current Gate
- Last Gate Sent Back To
See Requests: Out of the Box Fields for a list of all standard fields and their descriptions.
The screenshot below shows the Activity Log section of the request - the log shows the Date and time each action occurred, the name of each gate the request enters, a description of the activity, and the user who performed the activity:
If you don't see the Activity Log section in your request form and would like to, please contact your PPM Pro administrator.
The following actions are captured in in the activity log:
- Creating a request (new or from a copy)
- Submitting a request (enters gate)
- Approving a request (if last approval at gate, also logs entrance into the next gate)
- Rejecting a request
- Entering a gate (as a result of approval, Send Back to Prior Gate)
- Send Back to Prior Gate (enter new gate)
- Place on Hold
- Put Back in Progress
- Notifications (approver, requester)
- Copy Request (request created)
- Adding a note to a request (Note name)
- Adding an attachment to a request (Attachment name)
- Associating request with a task, project log, project (entity name)
- Creating an entity (task, project log, project) from a request
Note that if you copy an existing request including its notes, attachments, or associations, the Activity Log will show the selected data being created at the same time as the new request.
Filtering the Activity Log
You can use the filter field at the top of the log to find specific log entries. For example, if you filter on "app" the results will show a list of log entries having to do with approval, as shown below. You can also filter on a user name, for example, to see all actions performed by a specific user.
Printing the Activity Log
Click the Print button to either send the currently visible log contents to a printer or copy to clipboard. If you filter the log (see above), the Print function will print only what is visible.