When running reports or dashboards, or creating filters in a multi-currency environments, the currency that is rendered in report/dashboard output depends on the level you are reporting at.
When a baseline is captured for a project that uses a different currency than the Organization currency, monetary values are converted to the Org currency. Baseline reports will use the Organization currency.
Any reports that span multiple projects or multiple resources use the Organization currency. For example, reports at the Organization/Division/Department/Portfolio level. Any reports that focus on one project or one role or one resource use the currency defined for that project/role/resource.
Monetary KPI fields captured for a project that uses a different currency than the Organization currency are converted to the Organization currency. KPI reports will use the Organization currency.
Dashboards reflect the currency of the individual components that comprise the dashboard. For example,
- a single project report component will use its currency
- a multi-project report component will use the Organization currency
- a resource report component will use the resource's currency
- a resource planning report component will use the Organization currency
The project Currency field is a filter field that you can use to return all projects using a specific currency. For example, "Project: Currency is British Pound Sterling" will return all projects whose Currency field is set to British Pound Sterling. And, you can select multiple currencies, for example if you want the filter to return all projects that use GBP and all projects that use Canadian CAD.
When filtering on money fields, the system just looks at the numeric value and not the currency.
- For example, say you have a couple of projects -
- "My Agile Project" uses Canadian Dollars (CAD)
- "Brexit Project" uses British Pound Sterling (GPB)
- Both use the monetary field "Approved Budget"
- "My Agile Project" Approved Budget field - $ 7,692.31 CAD
- "Brexit Project" Approved Budget field - £ 25,000.00 GBP
- Create a filter "Project: Approved Budget is greater than 10000"
- Save and run the filter for projects
- "Brexit Project" is returned because its Approved Budget is £ 25,000.00 GBP (numerically higher that 10000, value is not higher)
- "My Agile Project" is not returned because its Approved Budget is $ 7,692.31 CAD (numerically lower than 10000)
- Edit this filter to decrease the value to 5000
- Save and run this filter for Projects
- "Brexit Project" is returned becase the Approved Budget value of £ 25,000.00 GBP is still numerically higher than 5000
- This time, "My Agile Project" is returned because its Approved Budget of $ 7,692.31 CAD is numerically higher than 5000 and meets the new criterion.