PPM Pro supports document and hyperlink (URL) attachments for each entity.
You can attach documents and links to the entity they relate to, such as a project or an issue. Each entity has its own associated Attachments page; the Project entity has an Attachments page, and most other entities have an Attachments tab. You can attach documents that pertain to you exclusively to Home/Attachments, which is a great place to attach certification documents, or any other personal records/notes you would like to have in the system.
Attachment Size and Storage Capacity
The maximum size for any single file attachment is 100MB. Files larger than 100MB should be linked.
Supported File Formats
- Local - file:///c:\test\example\
- Local - file:c:/test/example/
- Remote - file:///\\server\share\
- Remote - file://server/share/
Please note the following:
- PPM Pro will accept any valid URL. For example, C:\test\example and \\server\share are not valid URLs.
- Modern browsers prevent file:// URLs from working unless their security constraints are relaxed, which is generally prohibited by the browser. There might be local browser settings the customer could change to relax the security policy, but by default the browser initially fails silently when such links are clicked. Both the Mozilla team and (less directly) the Google team explain that it's not allowed. The Mozilla link includes client settings to override the behavior in Firefox.
- If your organization wants to allow document attachments but disallow link attachments, please contact Customer Care and they can assist in turning off link attachments.
PPM Pro does not perform any virus scanning on attached documents. Users can upload and download documents; if an infected document is uploaded, it will be infected on download as well. We recommend virus scanning on downloaded files. Remember that typically, malicious software files are not activated unless they are opened. In addition to running anti-virus software, also be cautious when opening unfamiliar documents.
For entities that use profile-based permissions (project, task, issue, portfolio, asset), users must have a profile that grants the appropriate permissions (create/view/edit/delete attachments). See About Profile-Based Permissions and Attaching Files and URL Links to an Entity.
For other entities, like Departments and Divisions, the Attach File/Link modal for attachments for these entities and the Home/Attachments page has a "Public" checkbox. When the Public checkbox is enabled, all users can view the attachment. Otherwise, members of the Organization standard group can create/edit/delete/view attachments.
When configuring PPM Pro, a user with administrative privileges can define values for the Attachment Categories lookup list to differentiate attachment types. Example categories include Screen Shot, Document, Instructions, Contract, and so on.