Note: Drilldowns to Entity and Report targets currently supported for List and Gantt reports
Note: Drilldown to Dashboards not yet supported
A drilldown is a link in the report output that the end user clicks to display another report, a PPM Pro entity Details page, a "data dump" (charts only), or a dashboard. You can create a drilldown link from most field types. Drilldown links are active even when the report in which they are defined in is included in a published dashboard. Drilldowns retrieve current data, which can be inconsistent with the information on the dashboard. A published dashboard is a snapshot in time, but drilldowns pull in live data. For more information, see Dashboards Overview.
Drilldown links are not active in the Preview Pane. To test, click Save & Run and click the links in the report output.
There are four targets a drilldown link can draw from:
- Report - You can configure a field to drill down to a report you specify. Click the vertical ellipsis in the Report/Dashboard column display the Select modal, where you can search for a report.
- Dashboard - (NOT YET SUPPORTED) You can configure a field to drill down to a dashboard you specify. Click the vertical ellipsis in the Report/Dashboard column display the Select modal, where you can search for a dashboard.
- Entity - You can configure a field to drill down to the Details section of the entity the field belongs to. For example, if you have a list report that includes project Title and task Title, and both are Entity drilldowns, the project title will invoke the project Details section, and task Title will invoke the task Details tab.
- Data - (Charts type only - bar, column, pie, donut) - The Data drilldown target results in a textual representation of the values depicted by the graphical chart. For example, imagine you have a Pie chart that shows Total Actual Cost for a project, grouped by project Type, configured to drilldown to Data. Click on a slice and you'll drill down to a set of columns - all projects of the type represented by the pie slice - and the Total Actual Cost for each. See example below:
Pie chart, Value field: Total Actual Cost, Group By field: Type. Click on Maintenance wedge...
..."Data" report displays, showing project Title and Total Actual Cost of each project of type Maintenance.
Drill Down links from Multi-Select Fields
Drilldowns to multi-select fields are implemented like single-select drilldowns - each value will have its own link (elements are semi-colon delimited). For Entity drilldowns, each list element will have its own link to its entity Details. For example, if the multi-select list contains the resources Joe, John, and Jim, an Entity drilldown would result in a link for each list element (Joe, John, Jim) that opens the corresponding resource Info page. For Report drilldowns, each list element has its own link to the report.
For example, in the screenshot below you can see how each list element has its own link:
Coming soon - you'll also have the ability to control whether the target report opens in a new tab or beneath the calling report.
To configure a drilldown:
- After setting topic and type, and adding fields to the report, navigate to the Display tab.
- Expand the Drill Down section if not already visible.
- The fields in your report are listed in the Field column. For each field you want to configure with a drill down, choose the Drill Down type (described above).
- Click Save or Save & Run.
You can move to any of tabs by clicking General, Data, Display, Variable Settings, or Team. See also Reports (Beta) Cookbook