The report designer's Display tab contains settings for configuring report appearance. Depending on the report type, you can display, format, and position various pieces of text, such headings and legends and labels. You can also configure sorting and grouping and showing sub/grand totals for relevant report types.
Most report types have controls on the Display tab for configuring the formatting. List reports, while strictly textual, have many options for controlling font size, color, and alignment - these settings can be found in the column header menus instead of the Display tab (see List Reports). In addition, List reports have Grouping, Sorting, and Aggregation sections, where you can select grouping and sorting fields, as well as apply calculations to numeric fields. See Grouping/Sorting for List Reports.
This topic covers:
- Creating and Positioning Headings
- Positioning and Formatting Data Values, Axis Labels
- Sorting for non-List report types (see Grouping/Sorting for List reports)
- Configuring Drilldowns to Reports and Entities
If you are looking at the Display tab then you have already chosen your report Topic and Type - as mentioned above, the report Type drives the options on the Display tab. Continue reading below to learn about common settings in the Display tab. Most of the settings are self-explanatory, and remember that the Preview Pane will reflect the settings as you configure them. So by all means, trial and error will be much more satisfying than a tome of documentation!
You can move to any of the other tabs by clicking General, Data, Variable Settings, or Team. At the bottom of this topic is a list of links to instructions for building specific report types.
Creating and Positioning Headings
The Headings section is where you can add/format report headings/subheadings. You can optionally add a heading to the report Container (the area in which the report is displayed), as well as 2 levels of headings just above the report content.
Below is a screenshot that illustrates the different heading types; a sample Headings section is shown below that, along with descriptions of all the settings. Note that List/Crosstab/Gantt charts offer only a Container Title in the Headings section.
Note that the preview pane will reflect the settings as you configure them.
Container Title - Left-justified text displayed in the shaded area at the top of the report output (looks like a title bar). There are no additional options for Container Title placement, simply enter the text you want displayed, or leave blank. Note that List/Crosstab/Gantt reports offer a Container Title only - no other headings.
Heading - Text displayed directly above the chart. To suppress the subheading, delete the text.
Heading position - Where to display the heading text: Show at Left, Show at Right, Show at Center. x
Heading font - Choose Heading font type, Style, and Size.
Subheading - Text that is displayed directly above the chart and below the heading (if there is a heading). To suppress the subheading, delete the text.
Subheading position - Where to display the subheading text: Show at Left, Show at Right, Show at Center.
Subheading font - Choose Subheading font type, Style, and Size.
Positioning and Formatting Data Values, Axis Labels
The Display tab's Data section is where you can determine if and how the data values are displayed, and configure other chart attributes, such as axis labels. Different report Types have different options for preparing data for display. For example:
For graphical reports, such as Bar and Pie charts:
- Display and position labels for axes for relevant reports
- Configure font and styling for axis labels, if shown
- Create and position bottom axis text (appears between the axis labels and the chart)
- Configure font and styling for data values (data values are the textual representation of the graphical element, such as a bar or a point), if shown
- Display and position a legend
For text-based reports such as List and Crosstab:
- Configure grouping and sorting of data
- Choose fields to aggregate
- Position and format sub-total and total values
- Suppress repeating data when grouping
- Choose layout type (Crosstab)
- Choose whether to show empty cells if value is zero
- (configuration of list report visualization is done in the Preview pane using column header menus)
Below is a screenshot that illustrates the different elements that can be configured for charts that have axes; a sample screenshot of a Data section is shown below that, along with descriptions of all the settings.
Data values - For charts where data is represented graphically, by a bar or a point, you can choose to also display the actual value. Choose Show Value to display, otherwise choose Do Not Show.
Data values font - If you choose to display data values, select the Data value Font, Style, and Size (or use the defaults).
Left axis labels font - The Left Axis labels are the field names represented by the Left Axis field you configured on the Data tab. Choose the Font, Style, and Size, for the labels or use the default. Axis labels are not optional.
Bottom axis text - Enter text that appears between the bottom axis labels and the chart. You can position the text left, center, or right, as well as choose a font, font style, and font size.
Bottom axis text position - If using Bottom axis text, choose to Show at Center, Show at Left, or Show at Right. If you don't want to show any text, be sure the Bottom axis text field is empty.
Bottom axis text font - If displaying Bottom axis text, select the Font, Style, or Size (or use the defaults).
Bottom axis labels font - The Bottom Axis labels are the values that display across the bottom access. Choose the Font, Style, and Size, for the labels or use the default. Axis labels are not optional.
Note that for these graphical reports w/out axes, the Data section simply allows you to show and format values, if desired.
For Donut chart, the Inner Size and Outer Size settings set the proportion of the "donut hole" to the outer diameter. Both are limited to 100. News flash: if you set both the 100 you will see nothing! If you set the Inner Size to 0 and the Out Size to some value, then you will have no hole (donut now looks like a pie!)
Play around with it in the Preview Pane!
Extensive sorting/grouping controls are available for List reports - click here for more information. Most other report types have simple sorting controls (limited to one sort field) that allow you to control the order of axis values and graphical elements, such as bars. On chart types, axis values are auto-grouped (there is no Grouping section on the Display tab of the chart types). Below is the sorting section for a non-List report:
For example, the Sorting section for a bar chart using the fields Count and Status is shown below; there are two available sort fields, which correspond to each axis:
|Choose sort field
Choose sort direction
Configuring Drilldowns to Reports and Entities
Note: Drilldowns to Entity and Report targets currently supported for List and Gantt reports
Note: Drilldown to Dashboards not yet supported
A drilldown is a link in the report output that the end user clicks to display another report, a PPM Pro entity Details page, a "data dump" (charts only), or a dashboard. You can create a drilldown link from most field types. Drilldown links are active even when the report in which they are defined in is included in a published dashboard. Drilldowns retrieve current data, which can be inconsistent with the information on the dashboard. A published dashboard is a snapshot in time, but drilldowns pull in live data. For more information, see Dashboards Overview.
Drilldown links are not active in the Preview Pane. To test, click Save & Run.
There are four targets a drilldown link can draw from:
- Report - You can configure a field to drill down to a report you specify. Select a report from the Reports drop list.
- Dashboard - NOT YET SUPPORTED)
- Entity - You can configure a field to drill down to the Details section of the entity the field belongs to. For example, if you have a list report that includes project Title and task Title, and both are Entity drilldowns, the project title will invoke the project Details section, and task Title will invoke the task Details tab.
- Data - (Charts type only - bar, column, pie, donut) - The Data drilldown target results in a textual representation of the values depicted by graphical chart. For example, imagine you have a Pie chart that shows Total Actual Cost for a project, grouped by Type, configured to drilldown to Data. Click on a slice and you'll drill down to a set of columns - all projects of the type represented by the pie slice - and the Total Actual Cost for each. See example below:
Pie chart, Value field: Total Actual Cost, Group By field: Type. Click on Maintenance wedge...
..."Data" report displays, showing project Title and Total Actual Cost of each project of type Maintenance.
Coming soon - you'll also have the ability to control whether the target report/dashboard opens in a new tab or beneath the calling report.
To configure a drilldown:
- After setting topic and type, and adding fields to the report, navigate to the Display tab.
- Expand the Drill Down section if not already visible.
- The fields in your report are listed in the Field column. For each field you want to configure with a drill down, choose the Drill Down type (described above).
- Click Save or Save & Run.
A Legend is available for non-list reports that use color to differentiate report characteristics, such as pie, donut, and bubble charts. You can include a legend to identify what the colors mean; position the legend to appear at the top, bottom, right, or left of the report data.
|Examples of different legend positions: left (below)...