Video: Introduction to Portfolios
Find Your Way Around the Portfolios Tool
Click the tool selector in the top navigation bar, and select Portfolios to open the Portfolios tool. There are two main portfolio views; a portfolios overview and a single portfolio view.
The Portfolios Overview
The portfolios overview offers a status summary for each portfolio. This view is useful when you want to know those portfolios that are performing with deviations, those that are at risk, and those that are performing according to plan.
By default, portfolios with the highest number of plan deviations appear at the top of the list. You may change how the list is sorted. Numbers displayed in a status box, indicates the number of project workspaces in the portfolio that reported deviations and what the deviation severity is (defined by the color).
Click each portfolio row from the list (except over the portfolio name) to open the portfolio detail pane. Clicking the portfolio name opens the single portfolio view.
The detail pane above indicates the workspaces deviating from the plan without leaving the overview. A workspace with a (red) icon is reporting a major deviation for at least one Key Performance Indicator (KPI).
- Use the Comments tab to discuss the portfolio and its included projects with other stakeholders.
- Click the Export portfolio report icon to get a portfolio report in Microsoft Word.
- Click the workspace name to get specific details including the complete status for the workspace.
Single Portfolio View
The single portfolio view provides a closer and more detailed view of the projects facing challenges which may require more attention.
From the Portfolios overview, click a portfolio name to open the single portfolio view.
The Portfolio Overview contains a list of portfolios reported from the project workspaces. Click the column headers to change sorting parameters, making it easier to compare workspaces. The Last reported column indicates when the latest update was performed. You can see when a specific value was updated and by whom, by hovering the cursor over the desired value in the list. Click a workspace name to open up the workspace detail pane. The detail pane includes an overview of all information reported from a specific project workspace.
There are a number of ways to view and use the portfolio data:
- The Date picker allows you to select a date to review what the reported values were for the portfolio in the past. Workspaces that weren't included in the portfolio at the time of the selected date are still listed as the Portfolios tool does not (yet) take this into account. The same is also true for when exporting the view to Microsoft Excel.
- Column navigation. If there are too many columns to fit in the window, use the left and right arrows to view the columns not currently in view.
- Show timeline offers a timeline comparison view with milestones for all projects in the portfolio. Clicking the Show timeline icon again will return to the list view.
- More menu opens a menu including the following additional actions:
- Export to Excel. Export all details in the view to Microsoft Excel for further processing or archiving.
- Export portfolio report. Generate a portfolio report in Microsoft Word to share with stakeholders.
- Show portfolio details opens a detail pane for the current portfolio.
- Customize view permits you the ability to reveal or hide columns and rearrange their order with drag and drop functionality, adjusting the view to suit your needs. These changes will affect all users. KPI columns can not be hidden. If you don't want to see a specific KPI in this view, you can remove the undesired KPIs from the portfolio.
- View project portfolio schedule provides you with a timeline view suitable to export or print.
- Status reminder. To insure the information in the portfolio is current, the portfolio owner can set up a reminder to update the status which is sent to the workspace manager.
Sort by date to find projects that haven't been reported on in a while.
Defining Status Colors
The portfolio overview includes multi-colored boxes, some containing a number which indicates the number of workspaces that has reported the one of the following status options:
Green indicates work is being accomplished according to plan.
Amber indicates a slight deviation or risk for deviation away from the plan.
Red indicates a major deviation from the plan.
Gray indicates that a status has not been established at this time.
From the workspace view of a portfolio, directional trend arrows indicates the reported status for KPIs and the change from the previous status report. The trend is calculated by comparing the most recent reported KPI status with the previous status reported 7 days before the reported last status.
Positive trend: From Red, Amber, or Gray to Green
Positive trend: From Red or Gray to Amber
Negative trend: From Green or Gray to Amber
Negative trend: From Green, Amber, or Gray to Red
No change. Everything is going according to plan.
No change. A slight deviation or risk for deviation.
No change. Major deviation from the plan.
A status has not yet been established.
Monitor Portfolios on the Go
Get an overview, from your iPad, Android tablet or Windows tablet, of your portfolios status and review the details to see exactly where each portfolio is experiencing deviations and why. Log in to Projectplace from your iPad, Android or Windows tablet's web browser and go to Portfolios (or use this link).
Use the desktop version when performing administration functions in portfolios.