Video: Introduction to Portfolios
Find your way around Portfolios tool
Click the tool selector in the top navigation bar, and select Portfolios to open the Portfolios tool. There are two main views in the tool; a portfolios overview and a single portfolio view.
The portfolios overview indicates where there are deviations that might need attention, by giving a status summary for each portfolio.
By default, portfolios with the highest number of deviations from the plan appear at the top of the list. You may change how the list is sorted. The numbers located within each box indicates the number of project workspaces in the portfolio that reported deviations and what the deviation severity is (defined by the color).
Click anywhere on each portfolio row from the list (except over the portfolio name) to open the portfolio detail pane. Clicking the portfolio name opens the single portfolio view.
The detail pane above indicates the workspaces deviating from the plan without leaving the overview. A workspace with a red bullet icon is reporting a major deviation for at least one Key Performance Indicator (KPI).
- Use the Comments tab to discuss the portfolio and its included projects with other stakeholders.
- Click the Export portfolio report icon to get a portfolio report in Microsoft Word.
- Click the workspace name to get specific details and to see the complete status for the workspace.
Single portfolio view
The single portfolio view provides a closer and more detailed view of the projects facing challenges that may need attention.
In the Portfolios overview, click a portfolio name to open the single portfolio view.
The Portfolio Overview contains a list of portfolios reported from the project workspaces. Click the column headers to change sorting parameters, making it easier to compare workspaces. The Last reported column indicates when the latest update was performed. You can see when a specific value was updated and by whom, by hovering over the desired value in the list. Click a workspace name to open up a detail pane. The detail pane includes an overview of all information reported from a specific project workspace.
There are a number of ways to view and use the portfolio data:
- Date picker allows you to select a date to review what the reported values were for the portfolio in the past. Workspaces that weren't included in the portfolio at the time of the selected date are still listed as the Portfolios tool does not (yet) take this into account. The same is also true for when exporting the view to Microsoft Excel.
- Column navigation. If there are too many columns to fit in the window, use the left and right arrows to see more columns.
- Show timeline offers a timeline comparison view with milestones for all projects in the portfolio. Clicking on the Show timeline icon again will return to the list view.
- More menu opens a menu including the following additional actions:
- Export to Excel. Export all details in the view to Excel for further processing or archiving.
- Export portfolio report. Generate a portfolio report in Microsoft Word to share with stakeholders.
- Show portfolio details opens the detail pane for the current portfolio.
- Customize view permits you to show or hide columns and rearrange their order with drag and drop functionality, adjusting the view to suit your needs. These changes will affect all users. KPI columns can not be hidden. If you don't want to see a specific KPI in this view, you can remove the undesired KPIs from the portfolio.
- View project portfolio schedule provides you with a timeline view suitable to export or print.
- Status reminder. To make sure the information in the portfolio is up to date, the portfolio owner can set up a reminder to update the status which is sent to the workspace head administrators.
Sort by date to find projects that haven't been reported on in a while.
How to define the colors
In the portfolio overview the multi-colored boxes containing a number, indicates the number of workspaces that has reported the indicated status.
Green indicates that work is being accomplished according to plan
Amber indicates a slight deviation or risk for deviation
Red indicates a major deviation from the plan
Grey indicates that no status has been set
In the workspace view of a portfolio, directional trend arrows indicates the reported status for KPIs and the change from the previous status. The trend is calculated by comparing the most recent reported KPI status with the previous status reported 7 days before the reported last status.
Positive trend: From Red, Amber, or Gray to Green
Positive trend: From Red or Gray to Amber
Negative trend: From Green or Gray to Amber
Negative trend: From Green, Amber or Gray to Red
No change. Everything is going according to plan.
No change. A slight deviation or risk for deviation.
No change. Major deviation from the plan.
No status has been set.
Monitor portfolios on the go
Get an overview from your portable tablet devise of your portfolios status and review the details to see exactly where each portfolio is experiencing deviations and why. Log in to Projectplace from your tablet web browser and go to Portfolios (or use this link).
Use the desktop version when performing administration functions in portfolios.