Click the tool selector in the top navigation bar and select Portfolios to open the Portfolios tool. From here, you can create new portfolios and manage KPIs, in addition to viewing information about the status of each portfolio and the project workspaces within them.
- The Portfolio Overview contains a list of portfolios reported from the project workspaces and displays status summaries for each portfolio. This view is useful when you want to know those portfolios that are performing with deviations, those that are at risk, and those that are performing according to plan. Multi-colored boxes indicate the number of workspaces that has reported the one of the following status options:
- Green indicates work is being accomplished according to plan.
- Amber indicates a slight deviation or risk for deviation away from the plan.
- Red indicates a major deviation from the plan.
- Gray indicates that a status has not been established at this time.
- From the Select portfolio menu, select a portfolio from the list to view a list of all workspaces associated with the portfolio. See the Workspaces List View section for more information about this view.
- Click on a portfolio's row to view its details without having to navigate away from the portfolio overview.
- Click the Open icon to open the single portfolio view, which contains specific details including the complete status for the workspace.
- Click the Export portfolio report icon to get a portfolio report in Microsoft Word.
- Click the View portfolio schedule icon to open a timeline view suitable to export or print.
- In the Status reminder section, the portfolio owner can set up a reminder to update the status which is sent to the workspace manager, to ensure the information in the portfolio is current.
- In the KPIs section, click the plus icon to add additional KPIs to the portfolio.
- In the Stakeholders section, click the plus icon to add stakeholders to the portfolio via email, or select them from a list if they are already workspace members.
In the Workspaces section, use the Add workspace menu to add additional workspaces to the portfolio. Workspaces included in the portfolio are listed below, and directional trend arrows indicate the reported status for KPIs and the change from the previous status report. The trend is calculated by comparing the most recent reported KPI status with the previous status reported 7 days before the reported last status.
Positive trend: From Red, Amber, or Gray to Green
Positive trend: From Red or Gray to Amber
Negative trend: From Green or Gray to Amber
Negative trend: From Green, Amber, or Gray to Red
No change. Everything is going according to plan.
No change. A slight deviation or risk for deviation.
No change. Major deviation from the plan.
A status has not yet been established.
- Use the Comments tab to discuss the portfolio and its included projects with other stakeholders.
Click the column headers to change sorting parameters, making it easier to compare portfolio data.
Single Portfolio View
When you click on a portfolio from the Portfolio Overview, you will see a single portfolio view which contains a list of all workspaces associated with the portfolio, and a schedule that displays important milestones for each workspace.
- Click the Filter icon to open the filter pane, where you can narrow down the list of workspaces by any of these attributes:
- Reports status
- Last reported
- The breadcrumb navigation allows you to see which portfolio's workspaces you are currently viewing. Click the Home icon to return to the portfolio overview screen.
- The Date picker allows you to select a date to review what the reported KPIs were for the portfolio in the past. (Workspaces that weren't included in the portfolio at the time of the selected date are still listed, as the Portfolios tool does not take this into account. The same is also true for when exporting the view to Microsoft Excel.)
- Click a workspace name to open the workspace detail pane. The detail pane includes an overview of all information reported from a specific project workspace.
- Click the workspace name to navigate to the workspace overview.
- The Properties section contains information about who updates the workspace status, and critical project milestones.
- The Status report section includes information about deviations from the plan and the project budget.
- Click the More menu icon to export the workspace report.
- Use the scrollbars at the bottom of each pane to view additional information, depending on the size of your browser window.
- Resize the list or schedule viewing areas by clicking and dragging the handlein the vertical separator bar to the right or left.
- Click the Options menu to access the following options:
- Export to Excel generates a portfolio report in Microsoft Excel to share with stakeholders.
- Export portfolio report generates a portfolio report in Microsoft Word to share with stakeholders.
- Show portfolio details opens a detail pane for the portfolio the workspace is associated with.
- Customize list view gives you the ability to reveal or hide columns and rearrange their order with drag and drop functionality, adjusting the view to suit your needs. These changes will affect all users. Keep in mind that KPI columns can not be hidden; if you don't want to see a specific KPI in this view, you can remove the undesired KPIs from the portfolio.
- Click the Full screen icon to hide the top-level menu.
Click the column headers to change sorting parameters, making it easier to compare workspace data.
Monitor Portfolios on the Go
Get an overview, from your iPad, Android tablet or Windows tablet, of your portfolios status and review the details to see exactly where each portfolio is experiencing deviations and why. Log in to Projectplace from your iPad, Android or Windows tablet's web browser and go to Portfolios (or use this link).
Use the desktop version when performing administration functions in portfolios.