Create and Use Document Templates
Document templates are very useful in projects where users are creating many documents of the same type. Document templates are created by Workspace Administrators and can be used by any project team member to create new documents.
To see a list of all document templates for a workspace, click Templates > Documents. This view provides a quick overview of some of the information included in each document template, and here you can also create, edit, share, and delete document templates for your workspace.
Add a Document Template
To create a new document template:
- Click the Add template icon and select the type of template (text, Word, Excel, or PowerPoint) you want to create from the menu.
- Type a name for the document template and press Enter.
- In the detail pane, give the document template a detailed Description.
Only Workspace Administrators can create document templates.
Upload a Document Template
- Click the Upload icon.
- In the file picker, choose the template you want to upload. Note that when uploading a document template, you must make sure the file has the extension you want your document to be created with (.doc, .xls, etc.) If you upload a document template with Office template file formats (such as .dot or.xlt) it will result in a copy of the office template instead of a document of the types .doc or .xls.
- When the file is uploaded, use the toggle to switch version management for the document template on or off.
- Click OK.
Edit a Document Template
- Select the template you want to edit to open the detail pane.
- In the detail pane, click Open. You will be prompted to choose whether you want to edit the document with the ProjectPlace document app, or Microsoft Office for Web (if it is enabled in the third-party app settings)
- Make any desired changes, then save the document. A new version of the document template will be created.
Copy a Document Template
- Select the document template you want to copy to open the details pane.
- Click More Options > Duplicate.
- A copy of the document is automatically created and added to the list.
Share a Document Template
- Select the document template you want to share to open the details pane.
- Click More Options > Share.
- Select Copy link.
- The document's URL appears in a new field below. Press Ctrl + A (or Command + A on a Mac) to select the link.
- Press Ctrl + C (Command + C on a Mac) to copy the link. The copied link is now in the clipboard and can be pasted in the desired location (document, email, webpage, etc.).
Delete a Document Template
- Select the document template you want to delete to open the details pane.
- Click More Options > Delete.
- Click the Delete button to confirm.