Video: Restrict Access to Folders
About Folder Access Rights
You can restrict access to documents by changing the access rights on the folder level. Only workspace administrators can see and change access rights.
There are three access levels:
- Read and write. Users can read and edit the documents in the folder.
- Read. Users can only read the documents in the folder, not edit.
- No access. Users do not see the folder or the documents in the folder.
These access rights are combined with the access rights set on tool level. You can never get a higher access rights on a folder than you have on the Documents tool. This means that if you have access level Read on the tool level, you can never get Read and write access to the documents in that folder.
Access rights are set for each group of project members. This means that you have to create groups before it is possible to set access rights. By default, each folder inherits the access rights used for the parent folder. This makes it easy to keep the same access rights in a complete structure of sub folders.
Restrict Access to Folders
The access rights on a folder can be defined when creating a folder or anytime after the folder has been created.
To change access rights on an existing folder:
- Open the folder detail pane.
- Open the Access rights section.
- Uncheck Inherit access rights from folder above.
- Select the appropriate access levels for each group. The access rights are changed immediately.
It is not possible to set access rights higher than no access for groups that have no access to the folder above.
To set access rights on a folder when creating it, click the link Manage folder access rights that appears for the new folder when it has been created.
Find Out Who Sees What
You can generate a Microsoft Excel report that gives an overview over who sees what, and the access levels for different users.
The report lists all groups and the members in them. You can see the access levels on all folders in the project, both for each group and for each member. Administrators always have full access to all folders.
To generate access rights report:
- In Documents tool, click the options menu .
- Click Export access rights.
- Click OK to confirm.
The group called Members not in a group includes all project members that has not been added to any other group.
Kanban boards are a powerful tool for visualizing work and staying on top of who is working on what. Learn more.