Teams spend hours per week manipulating data in excel or an analytics tool in order to communicate PI/Quarterly, Release, and Sprint plans across their organization. Agile Planning is meant to provide teams with an automatic visualization of what work is in the backlog, what work has been committed/planned, and what work is inflight work across iterations. With the click of a button, teams will be able to transform their AgilePlace boards into a dedicated Planning view. This view will automatically place cards in their assigned iteration/increment. Teams will now have the freedom to design their boards to best match their desired planning and delivery workflows without needing to manually add and upkeep PI and Sprint lanes on their board.
Agile Planning Potential Workflow:
- Admin or Team Organizer creates a Planning Series (planning and delivery cadence) for their team or wider department.
- Board Admins design their boards to represent the ideal planning and delivery workflow for their team. Recommendation now is to create a single lane to represent current PI or sprint rather than having a dedicated lane for every PI and sprint.
- Teams assign work/cards to different planning increments/iterations either from the Agile Planning view or the normal board view.
- During planning events (PI planning, sprint planning, etc.), Teams switch to the Agile Planning view for their board to effectively plan work across teams.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who has access to the Agile Planning view?
All users that have access to a board are able to toggle on the Agile Planning view for a board. Board permissions work exactly the same while in the Agile Planning view. Meaning Readers can view cards and Users and above can edit and move cards.
Does the Agile Planning view support multiple Planning Series?
Yes, the Agile Planning view supports multiple Planning Series. If a board has been added to multiple Planning Series, then users will be able to toggle between the different Planning Series they want to see in the Agile Planning view.
Can I show the same card across multiple Planning Increments?
If a card has been assigned to multiple Planning Increments, then that card will appear in all assigned increments in the Agile Planning view.
Is the Agile Planning view board specific?
Yes, it's currently only possible to access the Agile Planning view on a single board.
Future Release Plans
What is planned for future iterations of Agile Planning?
Here is everything that is currently planned for future iterations of Agile Planning (note: these could change at any time):
- Visually represent card status (Not Started, Started, Finished) in the Agile Planning view.
- Group by attributes (Teams, Status, Priority, etc.) to create automatic swimlanes.
- View velocity/capacity information by Teams and Increments.