There are two main views that help you to access and manage your work in LeanKit: the home screen and the board view. This guide helps new users get familiar with LeanKit, and provides an overview of the LeanKit home screen and board view.
Please note, we're assuming that you’ve already been given access to a board by your LeanKit Account Administrator and have been assigned a user role in LeanKit.
When you first log in to your LeanKit account, you’ll find yourself on the home screen. The home screen provides an overview of all the boards you have access to and account wide settings, including the ability to create new boards and add new users.
In the home view, icons in the top navigation bar provide access to important LeanKit functionality and settings.
If your LeanKit Account Administrator has already created boards and given you user access, you’ll see a small thumbnail for each board in this view.
To open a board, click the thumbnail of the board you want to open.
When you open a board by clicking on its thumbnail image, you’ll see the workflow or board view. This is where teams create a visual representation of how work flows and can easily see what is being worked on.
The lanes on your board represent the different steps a work item can move through from initial planning to completion. The specific lanes a team uses can be easily customized in LeanKit to meet the needs of the team.
Cards are used to represent work items on the board. Upcoming work is typically added to the backlog and prioritized for the team to work on. When a team member is ready to start work, the card is pulled onto the “Doing” part of the board and moved across lanes from left to right to reflect the current status.
In board view, icons in the top navigation bar provide access to important LeanKit functionality and settings.
Here’s more information to explain how to use the icons in the top navigation bar:
- Create a New Card: Quickly add new cards to the board
- Filter Cards: Highlight cards using filters such as card type, priority, blockers, assigned user, tags, and more.
- Activity Stream: View a chronological list of every card update. Includes card links for quick access to more details. Search the Activity Stream by date range and user.
- Analytics: Reports include flow, cycle time, card distribution, and efficiency diagrams to help you measure your team’s effectiveness and identify opportunities for improvement. More information on analytics.
- Board Layout Editor: Modify the layout of your board.
- Board Settings: Update board title and description, user access, tags, card types, class of service, Card Header settings, import/export, and personal preferences.
- RSS and Calendar: Subscribe to events that occur on the board and receive RSS and Calendar notifications.
- Subscribe: Subscribe to events that occur on the board and receive email notifications.
- Snapshot: Take a snapshot of your board to print or download (note: snapshots exclude the backlog and Finished lanes).
- Export Board History: Export a log of your board’s history that goes back 365 days.
- Invite Users: Invite new users to access the board.
- Help: Access getting started resources, ask a question, or search the Knowledge Base.
- Search: Find cards using advanced search criteria that allows you to search boards that you have access to.
- User Profile: Access your user profile and change personal user settings.
Now that you’re familiar with LeanKit views and navigation, learn how to visualize and manage your work using cards.