This feature is in Beta / Controlled Availability. To request early access, contact your Customer Success Manager. Planview, at its own discretion, reserve the right to accept or reject a customer request to enable a feature that is in Beta / Controlled Availability (i.e. “Beta software”) state. If a customer’s request is approved, an addendum to the Planview agreement will be required prior to the enablement of the feature in the customer environment, to address legal terms related to the use of Beta software.
The new Work Plan 2.0 is the definitive tool for viewing, editing, and managing tasks using a graphical user interface. The new version of the interactive Gantt chart provides improved task management capabilities not only by providing a clearer graphical display of task timelines, but also the ability to update the project plan in a timely manner.
The Work Plan 2.0 includes the following features:
- Fast expand/collapse capabilities
- Improved usability for day-to-day updates
- Faster overall performance, which enables better productivity when updating the work plan
- Creation of inline dependencies between work items using the keyboard only
- Reordering of work items using the row number or by dragging and dropping
Features Not Currently Supported
- Customizing the Gantt bar based on view definitions
- Formatting the grid based on conditional formatting rules
- Changing item duration in the Gantt
Accessing and Defining the Interactive Gantt view
The Work Plan 2.0 is accessible from the existing interactive Gantt by turning on the New WBS option.
- In the Project or Work Item module, select the projects or work items that you want to view and then turn on the New WBS option.
- In the detailed project work plan view, the new WBS is displayed inline beside the Grid view.
- You can also define the Gantt as the default selection for the view in the view editor.
To define the Gantt display options:
- To view the new work plan, turn on the New WBS option. The standard Gantt view is displayed.
- To adjust the Gantt options, on the right side of the Gantt, click the Critical Path or Baseline icons.
- To control the timeframe, click "+" to zoom out or "–" to zoom in.
The available time frames include:
- Yearly – shows years and quarters
- Quarterly – shows quarters and months
- Monthly – shows months and weeks
- Weekly – shows the weeks and days
The full date formats are controlled by the organizational setting.
The items in the interactive Gantt have different shapes and color-codes for items for you to quickly identify and understand the view displayed.
- Dependencies are represented by arrows that connect the work items
- Items are color coded as follows:
- Projects marked as portfolios are olive green
- Projects are blue
- Milestones are green
- Tasks are yellow
- Exceptions are gray
- The opacity of a bar indicates the percent completed
- When you point to critical path display options, a red border appears around work items that are at risk
- When you point to the baseline or plan vs. actual display options, an additional thinner bar appears below the main bar
Using the Interactive Gantt
Changes that you make in the Work Plan Grid affect the Gantt and vice versa. Pointing to an item on the Gantt displays a bubble with information based on the Gantt display options and profile settings for each user.
Based on your individual user permissions, you can edit the fields that are displayed in the bubble. You do the following using drag and drop:
- Move items to change their order and even move them between hammocks
- Change the start date and due dates of work items, which also changes the duration of the work items and affects the relating work items
- Report progress on a work item
- Create, move, and delete dependencies
To move items in the Gantt
- Point to the center of the item's bar until the cursor changes to a 4-headed arrow.
- Click and drag the bar to the new location.
To create dependencies in the Gantt
- Do one of the following:
- Search the item from the dependency type, and then define the type.
- Type the row number of the dependency work item and define the type and lag such as 13FS+2d (Row 13 finish to start with a lag of 2 days)
- Click Enter. A dependency is created between the two items
Exporting the Gantt to PDF or PNG File Format
- Click the Utilities tab.
- Click Export > Export to PDF/PNG.
- In the Export settings dialog, specify the options.
- Click Export.