Agile Program Management
The Agile Program Management capability’s enablers include Program Backlog Management, Team of Teams Planning and Management, and Program Execution. Each capability within the Planview Capability Framework has a distinct set of features and functionality, business processes, best practices, and analytics and reports that deliver value to customers in the form of specific business outcomes.
Agile Program Management Business Outcomes
Program Backlog Management
- We can visualize all planned and unplanned features on a program Kanban board.
- We can customize Kanban boards to reflect each program’s preferred processes.
- We can break down epics into features, adding them to the program backlog and estimating size, value, or complexity as appropriate.
Teams of Teams Planning and Management
- We can dynamically prioritize and sequence features in the context of size, value and team capacity/velocity considerations.
- We can easily and effectively carry out in-person or virtual quarterly planning. We can use the visualization of the Kanban boards to balance priorities, sequence work, and communicate realistic delivery timelines.
- We can easily visualize connections between and across teams to understand dependencies, proactively anticipate issues, and mitigate risks.
- We can carry out visual capacity planning at the program level by utilizing work-in-progress limits on the program Kanban board.
- We can systematically track how efficiently teams of teams can deliver work within a fixed period (e.g., a Program Increment) and use this data to inform future capacity planning and management.
- We can see if planned features are tracking with completion goals, the impact of any unplanned features, and the likelihood of achieving planned delivery dates.
- We can foster continuous improvement with insights and analytics into delivery trends across the team of teams.
- We can measure effectiveness, identify and remove bottlenecks, anticipate future issues, and adapt program workflow to optimize performance.
Agile Program Management Processes
Agile Program Management allows your teams of teams to track and manage program backlogs, quarterly planning, and the program plan. To achieve this, all work is visualized on program Kanban boards aligned to a preferred work methodology and process. Teams of teams can see backlogged and current work in the program plan and coordinate organizational initiatives quickly, effectively, and with clarity into the value delivered.
Program Backlog Management Process Steps
Program backlog management supports visualizing all work on program Kanban boards aligned to a preferred work methodology and process.
|Create features||Break epics down into discrete features for the teams to break into stories.|
|Describe and categorize features||Clearly define a goal for each feature that teams can work toward.|
|Estimate size||Realistically assess the scope of the work that will be required to complete each feature.
For more information:
|Capture relevant prioritization information||Rate each feature using criteria to determine how much value the feature will deliver and how long the feature will take to complete.|
Team of Teams Planning and Management Process Steps
Team of teams planning and management provides a structure to carry out quarterly planning. It provides teams and teams of teams with a way to visualize, plan, and coordinate organizational initiatives quickly, effectively, and with clarity into the value delivered.
|Set capacity for each team using WIP limits||Create Work in Progress (WIP) limits for each timebox, such as program increments, to set reasonable expectations for the capacity in each timebox.|
Use card scoring to rank and prioritize features
Add cards with work you want to evaluate to the Card Scoring panel in LeanKit, and select a metric or custom template to measure cards against the criteria most relevant to your team's purpose.
Carry out visual capacity planning
|Schedule features for specific timeboxes (such as program increments), respecting the previously set WIP limits to avoid overloading teams.
For more information:
Schedule features into appropriate timebox (e.g., sprint)
|Spread feature cards across the available timeboxes to avoid overloading teams with work.|
Program Execution Process Steps
Program execution supports agile team of teams’ ability to execute the program plan and monitor progress.
Deliver features through underlying stories
|Agile teams develop and complete user stories for the features to deliver business value. Features are complete when all underlying stories are finished.|
Monitor progress through key results
Associate relevant LeanKit cards to the key results. The cards should represent the activities to be completed to achieve the key results.
Periodically review the current state of key results to see whether teams are making progress toward the objective.
Agile Team Delivery
This capability empowers your team to execute work according to their preferred methodology and processes with customizable Kanban boards. Integration of agile team tools is supported so your team can work how they want while seeing all planned and pre-planned work.Read more
Objectives and Key Results
This capability provides a framework for defining, aligning around, executing, and measuring progress toward key organizational goals, linking organizational and team goals to measurable outcomes in a hierarchical way.Read more
Team of Teams Capacity Planning
This capability provides the mechanism to set time-phased capacity budgets or targets, and sequence epics across defined timeboxes to align with team capacity. This provides a framework to analyze demand and make assessments on the ability to continue with or take on new epics.Read more
Agile Program Management
Designed with the growing agile organization in mind, Planview’s Agile Program Management solution gives your agile teams a way to visualize, plan, coordinate, and deliver your organization’s biggest initiatives in an accelerated and predictable way.Read more
Enterprise Agile Planning
Planview’s Enterprise Agile Planning solution provides a scalable enterprise-level lean portfolio management, agile program management, and agile delivery platform that enables planning and value delivery from the strategic portfolio level to the agile team.Read more