In a Relational Diagram, you can display two or more entity records and the relations between them graphically. You can arrange the entity records manually, or select one of the following formats in which to arrange the entity records:
- box – places entities in boxes; can be used to create a layer or stack diagram
- circle – places all of the entities in a circle
- concentric – places the entities in concentric circles, with entities that have a higher number of associations to the center
- force – associations are treated as forces between the entities, which pushes the toward some entities and away from other entities
- grid – lays the entities in a grid, with the entities that have the most associations at the top
- tree – places the entities into a tree structure with the entities with the most associations at the top and their associations pointing down to lower entities
You can also do the following with relational diagrams:
- add closely related nodes to your diagram by using the "Add Associated Entities" feature
- add a Lifecycle State indicator to the perimeter of each node (Green - Active, Yellow - Planned, and Red - Inactive).
- toggle the automatic display of "rolled up" relationships on or off, in order to streamline your diagrams.
- save a snapshot of the relational diagram as a PNG file.
Creating a Relational Diagram
- Click Add > Insight > Relational Diagram.
- Enter a name and description for the diagram, and then click Create. The diagram appears.
- To add entities:
- Click Details in the top right corner.
- Click Add entity and then search for and select the entities.
- To change the layout manually, select and drag the entity nodes to the desired locations.
- To apply a layout format:
- Click Edit Layout.
- Select the Auto-layout check box, and then select the format.
- Click Save changes.
- To save a snapshot of the diagram as a PNG file, click Export image. The PNG file has the same name as the diagram and is downloaded to the default download folder for your operating system.
- To exit the diagram or view its entities, click View Entities in the top right corner.