Today’s PMOs need a modern PPM approach to address new challenges and support all of the ways organizations and teams work today. Taking the journey from traditional to modern PPM offers agility and adaptability. There are five major phases with distinct areas of focus that have been progressively ordered to make the process as efficient as possible. The information and tools provided in the sections below are designed to help you understand and navigate this journey with your organization.
Journey for Every Enterprise
Organizations, and PMOs specifically, are having to respond to change and uncertainty in ways they never have before. The role of the PMO has also grown beyond an exclusively IT-based function. As strategic drivers of the organization, they ensure alignment, mentoring, and continuous improvement.
Planview's PPM solutions enable the trend of the industry, which is a modernized approach to PPM. In doing so, organizations empower their teams to take on more of the planning and the execution around the work. That shifts the focus of the PMO to the portfolio level, ensuring the right teams are working on the right work at the right time; orchestrating across teams to deliver value to the organization.
Being adaptive is the answer to the question, why modernize? The next step is understanding how to get an organization on a journey from traditional to modern PPM:
- Commit to the journey from traditional to modern.
- Empower your teams. Embrace different as the new norm – teams use the delivery methods that best fit the work and outcome. No more one method fits all!
- Increase agility at the portfolio level. Empower leaders to translate strategy into outcomes that drive business value.
- Update existing processes to accept change as a constant. Become adaptive – it’s more than just a mindset. It modernizes how organizations carry out portfolio and work management.
Your Path to Modern PPM
Users have a one-size-fits-all PPM tool, while different areas of the organization might be using other methods or tools.
Status is communicated via meetings, manual updates, and varied reporting from all the separate tools.
The modern approach to work leverages modern tools and understands there can be a right tool for a specific type of work.
Team Foundation is focused on understanding the tools available and the proper use-cases for those tools. This allows leaders to empower teams with the right tool for the right situation while retaining a portfolio-centric view and appropriate guardrails.
Connecting all the tools to the PPM provides access to real-time status reporting across the platform.
The Connected Delivery step brings in dashboards to inform portfolio-level decision-making and align strategy to delivery.
Strategic Portfolio Management translates strategy into outcomes that drive business value. It empowers leaders to prioritize and fund what matters most by comparing scenarios that balance different outcomes, and building roadmaps to guide investments.
This enables the effective communication of plans and helps reveal dependencies, gaining line of sight into strategic progress across the organization.
The goal of Adaptive Portfolio Planning is to develop dynamic, inclusive plans that are continually informed by delivery status and key results.
Over time this leads to increased customer satisfaction and enhanced responsiveness to change, improves time-to-market, and aligns funding and governance to priorities.
Achieving Business Value
To derive real business value, it’s not enough to use a feature, you must ensure you are using it within the context of appropriate business processes and practice. You also need reporting and analytics in place that can quickly let you analyze the information. Planview's capability pages on the Customer Success Center show all the capabilities aligned to solutions, categories, and products, detailing the best practices and processes with their related reporting and analytics.
This modernization journey provides the perfect opportunity to review, update, and streamline your processes to ensure that you’re using appropriate best practices for features and the right reporting is in place to understand the results. User frustration usually comes from over-engineering, or from creating processes that don’t follow a best practice. Take this time to make sure you’re getting the best business value and user experience.
Modernization Journey Map
The modernization journey map lays out all of Planview's PPM capabilities and shows their evolution as you modernize from traditional to modern to lean. This is where you can find how the capabilities evolve and change as you mature along your journey.
The Customer Success Center provides all the additional information you will need about individual capabilities. Utilizing this tool will help ensure you have the knowledge you need to maximize business value for each one.
Journey Mapping Example
Everyone has their own distinct path and steps to take to modernize. The next step is to understand where you are on your journey and what will be your next steps. The map below is an example of one customer's modernization journey, showing where they are today and the next steps they are going to take. Beneath the map is a link to download a blank version of this as a PowerPoint slide you can download and start to mark up what capabilities you are using today and what your next steps will be. We've also created an accompanying assessment that asks questions around how your organization is working today, which will help as you fill out your map. This journey assessment is included in the next section.
Download a blank PowerPoint version of this map to highlight the capabilities you are currently using, along with those you will strive towards, as you map your own journey towards modernization.
Customer Journey Assessment
Our customer journey assessment is a tool that will help you map out your journey and also help you understand other areas where you'd like to modernize. These questions detail out the main areas that will evolve as you modernize, and once your answers are marked you will have a visualization of where you are on your modernization journey. This can serve as a tool to foster discussion around what areas you want to focus on to move the needle forward. Use the accompanying PowerPoint slide to complete your own assessment.
Download the PowerPoint version to complete your own assessment. You can drag and drop the blue and green icons to mark your journey.
The Right Tool for the Work
When it comes to empowering teams, having the right tool for the work is key. This section compares the basic features of Projectplace and LeanKit. Understanding the benefits of each while establishing use-cases in contrast to a traditional work breakdown structure is crucial to modernizing how your teams are empowered to work. Below is a grid that is useful for a quick cross-reference, followed by additional resources for a deeper dive into each tool.
Connected Projectplace in the Planview Capability Model
Demonstrations and Webinars
- Enterprise One and Connected Projectplace - the Best of Both Worlds - a detailed webinar over the connected use-case with real-world demos and examples of best-case use of a connected Enterprise One and Projectplace.
Projectplace Enablement Webinars and Training Materials (Free and Recorded)
- Planview Enablement Webinars - Every month a series of training courses are delivered on an open enrollment basis and are available at no charge.
- Planview Webinar Recordings - Recordings of all previous enablement webinars.
- Training Academy Courses - Learn from step-by-step courses about Projectplace use and administration.
- Projectplace Training Center - Projectplace product help, including training content.
- Embrace New Ways of Working with FLEX - Persona-driven content on using Projectplace as part of a modernization journey.
- Projectplace Enablement and Adoption - Focused content on enabling and using Projectplace.
Product Help in the Customer Success Center
- E1 Projectplace Connector Help - This page contains product help (how to) documentation on the Enterprise One and Projectplace Connector.
- Projectplace (Standalone) - This page contains product documentation.
- Projectplace Video Library - This page contains videos around getting started using Projectplace including setup, use, and administration.