Video: Work with documents and folders
Find your way around Documents tool
The main view of the Documents tool is a hierarchical list of folders and documents.
- Click a document name to open it.
- To expand or collapse a folder, click the arrows next to the folder.
- Collapse any expanded folders.
- Click the column header to sort the list view by that header item.
- Hover over a column title then click and drag the top solid box (which includes the three dots) to re-arrange the columns. The Name column will always remain in the first column.
- Select a document or folder and open the detail view by clicking the checkbox or anywhere in the row except the document or folder name. A detail pane will open and you will find all details and actions related to the document or folder. You can comment and discuss the document with other workspace members. If you select several documents and folders at once, the detail view will include only the applicable actions for the selected documents and folders.
- Select all documents and folders listed with the checkbox next to the Name column header.
Click the filter icon to filter the view:
- Recently changed lists all documents that have been changed during the past one or two weeks.
- Reviews lists all documents currently under review.
If you click a folder name, you will see the contents of that folder and the included details pertain only to that folder.
- If you are inside a folder, you can navigate back to the parent folder(s) by clicking the bread-crumb navigation on the toolbar.
Two special folders may appear in the document archive:
- Public documents. This folder is used to share important documents to project stakeholders without a Projectplace account, using a public site.
- Knowledge base. This folder is used to share important documents to be used in several projects in an organization, such as document templates or instructions. The knowledge base is created in a project template and is visible and up-to-date for all projects based on the template.
Preview PDF and media files
You can preview PDF and media files without downloading them.
There are two ways to preview a PDF:
- Click the name of the PDF to open the PDF in a preview window.
- Or, click Preview in the detail view to see the document preview.
Supported file formats include:
Simple document management using a document app
Install and use one of the document apps in Projectplace to help simplify working with documents. Using a document app, each document will be locked when you edit it, thus preventing others from accidentally overwriting your changes. It is automatically opened in the correct program, and the app will also unlock and save a new version of the document back to Projectplace when you have completed making your changes.
Add documents, links, and folders
Upload existing files of any file format from your computer, or create new documents directly in Projectplace. Project administrators can create document templates that everyone in the project can base their documents on. Create links to anything with a URL, for example, web pages or documents that are located in other cloud services.
Use folders to create a manageable, hierarchical structure of documents and links.
Add a relevant document description, link, or folder in the detail view. The document name and description are each searchable making searches more effective.
To upload files from your computer:
- Go to the folder where you want the files to be added.
- Click the upload icon in the toolbar.
- Drag and drop files to the pop-up window or click Choose Files to select the files you want to upload.
You can also directly drag-and-drop files to the document list, and even drop the files into the an appropriate folder. Use list view to upload files faster, saving time.
The files are uploaded as Projectplace documents. By default all uploaded files use version control. If the folder uses version control, the new documents are assigned version 0.1, but the version number can be changed.
There are no technical limitations for the size of a single file uploaded to Projectplace, however, there are a number of variables that may effect how well uploading a file goes. Some variables includes how you upload each file, what browser you use, and any limitations in your firewall. You can usually upload files up to 500 MB without any issues. Larger files (up to 1-2 GB) may be uploaded, but the uploading process may require more time.
To add a new document, folder, or link:
- Click the Add... box on the left side of the toolbar to create a folder, document, or link.
- Add a name (or URL if you are adding a link) and select what type of file you want to create from the drop-down list.
- If you want to put access restrictions on a newly created folder, click Manage folder access rights and create or set the appropriate settings. By default, a folder inherits the access rights from its parent folder.
Only project administrators can set access rights on folders.
You can also use hot-keys to quickly create new elements. Just press the key, type in the name (optional) and then press Enter. Click the 'Add..' box to see the available shortcuts.
To create a better overview and differentiate folders from each other, change folder colors. For each project, you can decide what each color represents, for example, specify a particular color for a specified stage in the project.
Create shortcuts to folders when you need to access those folders frequently.
Read or edit a document
Installing the document app is strongly recommended to make it as easy as possible to work with documents in Projectplace.
If you cannot install a document app, see how to edit a document without the document app.
To read or edit documents using a document app:
- In the documents list, click the document name to open a document.
- You will be asked if you want to Read or Edit the document. Choose Edit when you want to make changes to the file.
- Read: The file is opened in read-only mode and remains unlocked in Projectplace so that other users can edit the file.
- Edit: The file will be opened for editing and is locked in Projectplace so that no one else can edit the file at the same time.
- When editing the document all changes will be made available in Projectplace as soon as you save the document. If version management is activated, a new document version will be created the first time you save the document. Subsequent changes are saved into the same version. When you are done, save any changes and close the file. The document will be unlocked if needed.
Image documents are handled differently. Click the image name to open up a preview of the image. Then click the link Download image below the preview to open it.
You have quick access to documents you have read or edited in the Recent documents section of My overview.
Upload a new document version
If a document has been updated outside of Projectplace, you can upload the new (updated) version.
To upload a new document version:
- Open the detail view for the document.
- Click the options menu and select New version.
- If the document is not version managed, the menu will say Replace instead.
- Choose the document to be uploaded and click Update. The document has now been replaced and if version management is activated a new version has been created.
Move documents, links, and folders
Documents, links, and folders can be moved within the project or to another project.
Members with only read-access can not make changes to the location of documents, links, and folders. Remember that changes can not be made to the public documents folder unless you are the workspace administrator.
To move a single item to another folder using the drag and drop method:
- Hover over the item you want to move.
- To the left of the checkbox, three small dots appear.
- Click the dots icon and drag the document, link, or folder into another folder.
While moving a file to another folder, drag the file to the collapsed folder and hover for a moment. The folder will automatically expand.
To move one or multiple items to another folder or project:
- Select one or more documents, links, or folders.
- In the detail view, click the options menu and select Cut. A message appears informing you that items have been added to the clipboard.
- Go to the folder (in the same or another project) where you want to put the items.
- Click Paste in the displayed message.
When folders are moved from one project to another, they lose their access rights settings. After moving to the new location, please set access rights accordingly.
Copy documents, links, and folders
Documents, links, and folders can be copied within the same folder, to another folder in the same project, or to another project.
When a document is copied, it is only the current version that will be copied. No history, older versions, or comments will be copied along with it.
To copy documents, links, and folders:
- Select one or more documents, links, and folders.
- In the detail view, click the options menu and select Copy.
- A message that the items have been put in the clipboard appears at the top of the screen.
- Go to the folder (in this or another project) where you want to put the items.
- Click Paste in the message displayed.
Change document, link, or folder name and description
When you select a document, link, or folder, the detail view appears. To change the name or description, simply click on the name or in the description box in the detail view.
Comment and discuss documents, links, and folders
Keep all communication and events around documents in one, easily accessible, place. The comments are found in the detail view. To add a new comment, click in the comment box, type your comment and when finished click Comment.
If you want feedback from a specific person on a document, you can ask them to comment directly in Projectplace. Type '@' and the first letters of the contact name, and then select the desired person from the list that appears. If you write, for example, '@jo' all persons with first name or last name that begins with 'Jo' will appear in the list.
The person you @-ref will be notified both in Projectplace (with an in-service notification) and through email.
You will get notifications when someone else comments on a document, link, or folder that you have commented on earlier.
If you want to refer to a document in a conversations post on the project overview you can attach a link to it. Only members of the project have access to conversations. Learn how to work with conversations.
You can also use reviews to gather feedback in a more structured way.
Lock a document permanently
If you want to preserve a specific version of a document you can lock it permanently.
Locking a document permanently may be useful, for example, when a contract has been approved, or when a document has been published externally and should not be changed after publication.
In the detail view, click the options menu and select Lock permanently to lock a document.
When a document is permanently locked it cannot be edited again, and the lock cannot be removed.
There are a number of different ways you can share documents with others, including emailing documents, notifying others of documents changes, or sending a document for review.
Keep track of document changes
There are several ways to keep track of changes in the document archive including, document history, a view where you can see a document that has been changed recently, daily, and weekly reports.
Read on the go – mobile support
With our apps for iOS and Android you can access your documents in Projectplace wherever you are.
In both the Apple iOS and Android apps you can:
- See document updates in an event feed
- Read documents
- Read documents offline
- Share documents with anyone
- Add comments
The iOS app also includes the ability to participate in document reviews
A document is deleted by clicking on the menu and selecting Delete. The document is now in the recycle bin and from there, it can be restored or deleted permanently.