What does end of support for Internet Explorer 11 mean?
To allow us to continue to take advantage of modern web standards to deliver improved functionality and the best possible user experience across all of our products, we have decided to end support for Internet Explorer 11 (IE11).
End of support means we will not fix bugs or devote testing efforts to IE11, and will begin to introduce features that aren't compatible with this browser.
Why is this happening?
In 2015, Microsoft released Edge as the browser to supersede Internet Explorer (IE). Since then IE has not received major updates nor added support for many modern web standards. Microsoft recently discouraged the use of Internet Explorer as a default browser, and we’ve also seen a decrease in IE11 usage across our cloud, server, and data center products over time.
In fact, the percentage of customers using IE11 with each of our solutions has decreased dramatically in the last six months.
Microsoft's own platforms will stop supporting IE 11 completely by August, 2021, and Microsoft Teams already asks users to choose another browser.
When is this happening?
Planview's plan is as follows:
- Between now and the end of the year we will be on limited support, which means that from now on, we will not fix IE11 bugs unless they are critical:
- Bugs resulting in cosmetic, layout, or performance issues will no longer be fixed, and another browser will be recommended.
- Customer critical bugs that prevent site access will be reviewed for potential fixes.
- Beginning December 31, 2020 we will be on very limited support:
- We will no longer be testing IE11.
- Only critical bugs reported by customers will be triaged, with no guarantee of a fix.
- We will completely stop support as of March 31, 2021.
What should you do?
As soon as possible, customers are advised to select another, more modern browser. If you are in a position to do so, you can encourage your teams to use a different browser from now on.
- Planview solutions perform best on the Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Edge browsers.
- Those who wish to follow Microsoft recommendations can use Microsoft Edge, which they say is faster, safer, and more productive.