The audience for this information includes customer Planview Administrators and System Owners. The purpose is to provide guidance and document recommended best practices relating to the setup and management of attribute, column, and column set configuration in Planview Enterprise.
The objective is to ensure that the customer’s Planview Enterprise system has an optimized configuration with information, in the form of attributes, displayed in the application in the best way, avoiding the presentation of information that is not relevant to the customer’s use case for Planview Enterprise.
By adopting and following the recommendations provided, Planview Enterprise can be optimally configured to ensure that:
- Unused/irrelevant data points (attributes) are not presented to users resulting in confusion and unnecessary complexity.
- Attributes are not presented in screens where their use is misleading, and the content of these screens is optimized for driving value from Planview Enterprise.
- When creating a portfolios, the appropriative additional criteria attributes are listed relevant to the customer use case.
- Each Column set will only contain attributes that are relevant in that screen.
The general term “attribute” was introduced in Planview Enterprise 11.0 and is a term used to describe a data point relating to a Planview Primary Structure. Attributes apply to the following Planview Primary Structures:
- Changes, Risks, and Issues
- Support Tickets
Attributes can be data items held in the Planview database, for example the WorkID of a project, or they can be calculated based on other attributes – for example the total hours reported to a project through timesheets.
Attributes can be “out-of-the-box” standard attributes included as part of the core application, or RPM attributes delivered as part of a Planview implementation foundation database. Alternatively, further attributes can be created and managed through the administrative screen the Planview Administrator can create new “custom” attributes.
Each attribute/attribute type can be set up so that it is available for use/display in specific screens in the Planview Enterprise application or for use in specific functions such as lifecycles. All primary structures have configurable screens where administrators can add an attribute to the page content. Only the first seven primary entities listed above can be configured to display within the columns/column sets framework.